The Dialexis 10-day Intensive Training is for teams who a eager and want to establish DBT within their organization. The health professionals who register for this training are already acquainted with the method via the DBT manual for borderline personality disorders, the DBT skills training manual, or via a 1-day or 3-day Introduction course. In other words, we focus on teams that have made an informed choice to apply DBT.
A team is a group of health professionals, who meet every week to support each other in carrying out DBT. There are DBT teams that are united across departments or organizations to find that support from each other. Individual participants who are members of an existing DBT team are referred to the 5-day basictraining, a training which we organize in collaboration with RINO Utrecht (in Dutch).
All health professionals who will have a role as an individual therapist or skills trainer are welcome. In the Netherlands and Belgium, DBT is usually implemented in multidisciplinary teams, in which different basic disciplines and educations are represented. To participate in the 10-day Intensive Training, participants posses basic knowledge of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Furthermore, this offer is high in demand. We rely on the health professionals to have decided for themselves that they are able and willing to devote time and energy to implement DBT.
The 10-day Intensive Training consists of three phases. During the first week, consistsing of five one-day meetings, the competences for implementing DBT and for independently setting up a DBT program will be practiced. The method for he first week emphasis on a presentation, demonstration and role play. After this week, the teams have about six months to put into practice what they have learned and practiced. In order to facilitate this process, assignments and good practices are given. During the second week, participants will present their implementation process. This second week focusess on evaluating, setting goals, and taking as many steps as possible toward those goals. In addition, the competences of week one are repeated, with less focus on didactics and more on in-depth discussions, practicing and asking for feedback.
Learning objectives week 1
- Function, structure and course of a consultation team
- Basic principles of DBT: scientific thinking, acceptance and dialectical philosophy
- Research into the effectiveness and mechanisms of DBT
- Principles about clients, practitioners and treatment
- Biosocial theory and the skills model
- Case conceptualization in DBT
- Stages in the therapeutic process; patients with severe emotion regulation problems
- Function of the program components by means of Linehan’s theory
- Life goals of a client, and primary and secondary treatment goals in DBT
- From complex problems to specific and analysable problem behaviour
- Core strategies in DBT: problem solving, validation, dialectics
- Getting to the core of the situation in the first conversation
- Structure and process of the pretreatment, individual therapy and special sessions
- Structure, process and content of the skills training
- Consultation-to-the-client principle in case management
- Suicide risk assessment and management for chronically suicidal target groups
- Procedures to intervene during an acute,000000 suicidal crisis
- Dealing effectively with therapy limiting behavior and stubbornness
- Applying cognitive modification, informal exposure and contingency management in DBT
- Balancing reciprocal and irreversible communication
- Strategies for coaching between sessions
- Implementing DBT as an individual, team and organization
Learning objectives week 2
- Demonstrating core strategies and procedures in DBT
- Being able to critically assess and contribute ideas in case conceptualization and chain analyses
- Explaining the biosocial theory to clients, relatives and colleagues
- Identify and remedy dysfunctional behavior during a session
- Tracking individual therapy, skills training and consultation team
- Identify team problems and apply DBT strategies to solve them
- Strengthen your consultation team
- Develop your own treatment program that takes into account scientific research and the unique needs within the setting
- Devise a plan to investigate the effectiveness of the program
- Testing knowledge and insight on the basis of the DBT exam
- Develop a plan for consolidating and further fine-tuning the DBT program
- Improve presentation, demonstration and role play
- Transferring DBT skills in an inspiring way
First week 45 hours, second week 45 hours, before and in between 106 hours. Resulting in a total study load of 196 hours.
Before the start of the training, the participants are expected to have read the following books:
- “Skills training manual for treating borderline personality disorder” written by Marsha M. Linehan
- “Dialectical behavior therapy for borderline personality disorder: Theory and methods” written by Marsha M. Linehan.
Cognitive behavior therapists, behavioral therapeutic workers, mental health psychologists, clinical psychologists, psychiatrists, psychotherapists, social psychiatric nurses or psychologists who have at least followed a three-day Basic DBT Training (100 hours), or an introduction training of 30 hours. In addition multidisciplinary composed consultation team can participate. It is recommended to participate in the intensive DBT training when at least two persons from the same team enroll.
To acquire a certificate the participant has to be present for at least 90% of the entire training. If the participant is unable to meet this requirement, then is it possible, after having consulted Dialexis, to participate in another training to catch up.
The exam and answers are handed out at the end of the first week of the training, to help in the learning process. In the second training week there is the possibility to ask the trainers questions about this exam.
€ 2295 per participant, which includes the reader and coffee/tea as well as lunch during the training.
Accreditation is requested at the following Dutch associations:
NVvP – VGCt – FGzPt – V&VN – VSR – RV – NIP K&J/NVO OG – NIP Eerstelijns – SKJ
For online registration go to the relevant training in the schedule.