The 5-day Foundational training DBT of Dialexis is a traning for individuals who want to perform DBT and are willing to to join an existing and weekly active DBT consultation team. The health professionals who register for this training are already acquainted with the method via the DBT manual for borderline personality disorders, the DBT skills training manual, or via a 1-day or 3-day Introduction course.
In other words, we focus individuals who have made an considered choice to perform DBT.
All health professionals, who meet every week to support each other in carrying out DBT. There are DBT teams that are united across departments or organizations to find that support from each other. Individual participants who are members of an existing DBT team are referred to the 5-day foundational training, a training which we organize in collaboration with RINO Utrecht (in Dutch).
All health professionals who can take on a role as individual therapist or skills trainer are welcome. In the Netherlands and Belgium, DBT is usually implemented in multidisciplinary teams, in which different basic disciplines and educations are represented. To participate in the 5-day Foundational training, participants posses basic knowledge of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Furthermore, this offer is high in demand. We rely on the health professionals to have decided for themselves that they are able and willing to devote time and energy to implement DBT.
During the training week, consisting of five one-day meetings, the competences for implementing DBT will be practiced. The method emphasis on presentation, demonstration and role play. After this week, the participants can put into practice what they have learned and practiced within their consultation team.
Following this 5-day Foundational Training, the 6-day Follow-up Basic training can be followed later on, to be trained in the implementation of the DGT program and in preparation for any DBT certification. If the participant wants to set up a new DBT program, it is advised to follow the 10-day Intensive Training with two colleagues.
- Function, structure and course of a consultation team
- Basic principles of DBT: scientific thinking, acceptance and dialectical philosophy
- Research into the effectiveness and mechanisms of DBT
- Principles about clients, practitioners and treatment
- Biosocial theory and the skills model
- Case conceptualization in DBT
- Stages in the therapeutic process; patients with severe emotion regulation problems
- Function of the program components by means of Linehan’s theory
- Life goals of a client, and primary and secondary treatment goals in DBT
- From complex problems to specific and analysable problem behaviour
- Core strategies in DBT: problem solving, validation, dialectics
- Getting to the core of the situation in the first conversation
- Structure and process of the pretreatment, individual therapy and special sessions
- Structure, process and content of the skills training
- Consultation-to-the-client principle in case management
- Suicide risk assessment and management for chronically suicidal target groups
- Procedures to intervene during an acute,000000 suicidal crisis
- Dealing effectively with therapy limiting behavior and stubbornness
- Applying cognitive modification, informal exposure and contingency management in DBT
- Balancing reciprocal and irreversible communication
- Strategies for coaching between sessions
- Implementing DBT as an individual, team and organization
This training takes place on five days. The study load is 45 hours each day, plus 50 hours in total before and in between the course, resulting in a total study load of 95 hours.
Before the start of the training, the participants are expected to have read the following books:
- “Skills training manual for treating borderline personality disorder” written by Marsha M. Linehan
- “Dialectical behavior therapy for borderline personality disorder: Theory and methods” written by Marsha M. Linehan.
Cognitive behavior therapists, behavioral therapeutic workers, mental health psychologists, clinical psychologists, psychiatrists, psychotherapists, social psychiatric nurses or psychologists who have at least followed a three-day Basic DBT Training (100 hours), or an introduction training of 30 hours.
To acquire a certificate the participant has to be present for at least 90% of the entire training. If the participant is unable to meet this requirement, then is it possible, after having consulted Dialexis, to participate in another training to catch up.
The exam and answers are handed out during the trainings week. At the end of the training, there is the possibility to ask the trainers questions about this exam.
A live training; € 1595,- per participant, which includes the reader and coffee/tea as well as lunch during the training.
Online training via Zoom and the online Dialexis learning environment: € 1265,-.
Accreditation is requested at the following Dutch associations:
NVvP – VGCt – FGzPt – V&VN – VSR – RV – NIP K&J/NVO OG – NIP Eerstelijns – SKJ
For online registration to the relevant training, click here Register.